Dr. Daniel Chan is one of South Florida’s preeminent experts in orthopaedic trauma and fracture care. He received is orthopaedic trauma fellowship training at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York City, the #1-ranked hospital in the country for orthopaedic surgery for over 10 years in a row as ranked by US and World Report. He receives regular referrals from other orthopaedic surgeons in the area for difficult / complex fractures and reconstruction cases and often accepts transfers from outside hospitals to assume care for injured patients initially treated elsewhere.
Dr. Chan specializes in several complex fracture areas that require specific training and expertise to increase the likelihood of a successful outcome –
- Pelvic / Acetabulum Fractures – these fractures around the hip socket and involving the pelvic ring are associated with difficult surgical approaches and must be repaired precisely to allow for normal gait and activities after trauma
- Periprosthetic Fractures – with more and more patients having joint replacement surgery, fractures around these implants are becoming more common and require advanced planning and techniques to stabilize the fracture while preserving the previous implants, while in other cases, revision of the original implants are necessary
- Periarticular Fractures – these fractures involving a joint surface must be repaired precisely to re-align the cartilage and joint contour to allow for normal joint motion and to minimize the risk of subsequent post-traumatic arthritis
- Nonunion / Malnunion Correction – these fractures have already undergone a surgical attempt at fixation but the bone has not healed (nonunion) or healed with an unacceptable alignment (malunion), requiring a carefully-planned and well-executed complex salvage procedure to restore alignment and to achieve healing
- Complex Polytrauma – With severe accidents, multiple extremities / body parts may be fractured simultaneously, requiring careful coordination with other treating physicians to plan the timing and method of surgical stabilization in these critically-injured patients to maximize outcomes and minimize complications
To schedule a consultation with Dr. Chan, call the office at or call the Memorial Regional Hospital (Level 1 trauma center in Hollywood, FL ) transfer line at for patients already admitted to an outside hospital.